Monday, November 23, 2009

Looking Back - First Days of School

I'll be posting some things out of chronological order as I try to catch everybody up on our summer. Riley's first day of KINDERGARTEN came on August 25. It was a big day for our big guy!

A hug for Donovan before heading out...

Obligatory first day of school photos...


When we arrived at school, Riley's tears turned on and we couldn't turn them off! His teacher literally had to pry him off of me. However, he had a good day after that and had this smile on his face (that I captured through the windshield) as he walked to my car at day's end:

I treated him with a "Mr. Messy" for his Mr. Men collection.

After the First Day, we really wanted Riley to ride the bus in the afternoons. The first time we tried it, Riley cried and refused to get on the bus. But the next day - well, he still cried at first, but he did get on. When he got off the bus the other children cheered for him, saying "Yay, Riley! You did it! You rode the bus!" His first words to me were, "I like riding the bus!"

As incentive to ride the bus, I had promised Riley bus cookies...

...and his first (and very long-awaited) trip to Build-A-Bear!

Grandma helped Riley get his bear dressed.


Donovan's first day of preschool was September 1. Another brotherly hug got the day started.



At school!

Donovan headed straight for the bookshelf in his class. I left with the hopes that no books would be harmed... at least on his first day.

Both boys love school and their new friends. Donovan can sing all his ABC's and recognize a lot of written letters. Riley's reading has improved exponentially and he can say the months of the year in both English and Spanish! Just today Riley told me his favorite part of school is writing (really? I thought it was art class) and his least favorite thing is homework (no surprise there). Donovan's favorite thing must be music time, because I hear him singing new songs almost every week! They love to hear about other people's school experiences - what was your favorite part of school?

No comments: